Monday, January 28, 2013

Sunday Soccer Results


Yesterday, I did my first version of soccer predictions and I didn't do all that bad: 1/27 Soccer Predictions. Of the 12 games that I picked I went 7-5 on the day and took a real beating in England.

English FA Cup Fourth Round:

I got all three of my FA Cup game predictions wrong. In these three games where I thought the bigger clubs would easily win games against lesser opponents without breaking a sweat two of those teams were eliminated and Chelsea has a chance at redemption against Brentford due to the draw.

The main problem for why Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea are in the predicaments that they are is that they completely overlooked their opponents for these games and were more worried about their Premier League games that are going on later in the week. While winning trophies is important for most teams, some teams are so focused on winning their league titles that they under-perform year after year in their domestic cups.

Results: 

Chelsea @ Brentford - Draw 2-2
Tottenham Hotspur @ Leeds United - Leeds wins 2-1
Liverpool @ Oldham Athletic - Oldham wins 3-2

Spanish La Liga:

In La Liga my predictions were much better than in the FA Cup as I went 2-1. While I got the Real Madrid and Barcelona games right I didn't give those two teams enough credit as they went on to win by scores much larger than I predicted. The game that I got wrong was choosing Atletico Madrid to hold Athletic to a draw. Athletic proved to be too much for Atletico in this game as they easily won their game in shutout fashion.

While Real Madrid aren't having their best season right now this game just shows that in any game they could come out and drop multiple goals on teams. Barcelona is arguably the best team in the world right now and all signs are pointing to them winning La Liga along with the Champions League this year. It helps when Real Madrid and Barca have the two best forwards in the world right now as Cristiano Ronaldo of Real scored three goals and Lionel Messi of Barca outdoing him in his game by netting four.

Results:

Getafe @ Real Madrid - Real Madrid win 4-0
Osasuna @ Barcelona - Barca win 5-1
Atletico Madrid @ Athletic Bilbao - Bilbao win 3-0

Italian Serie A:

Finished 2-1 on the day with picks in the Serie A with the only game I got wrong being Torino at Inter Milan. Both the Roma-Bologna and AC Milan-Atalanta games played out very similar to that of what I guessed except the goal totals being a little off. Very shocked to see Inter not be able to grab the three points over a lesser team in Torino.

Results:

AS Roma @ Bologna - Draw 3-3
AC Milan @ Atalanta - AC Milan win 2-1
Torino @ Inter Milan - Draw 2-2

Other Games in Europe:

I don't follow the German Bundesliga or the French Ligue 1 as much as the leagues in England, Spain and Italy, however I thought I'd add a few games coming from some of the other big clubs around Europe. I'm starting to think these leagues are the ones that I need to keep picking as I went a perfect 3-0 with my picks in these games. Both Bayern and PSG seem destined to win their respective leagues and will more than likely be making noise come the Round of 16 in the Champions League in a couple of weeks.

Results:

Werder Bremen @ Hamburg SV - Hamburg win 3-2
Bayern Munich @ VFB Stuttgart - Bayern win 2-0
LOSC Lille @ Paris Saint-Germain - PSG win 1-0

No comments:

Post a Comment